I always thought all toilets were pretty much the same. That is, until I lived in Japan.
The hi-tech toilets I found in Japan were completely different from I was used to. Not only are Japanese toilets more comfortable and clean, but they offer a lot of different functions to make your life much easier.
Let’s take a look at some of the best Japanese toilets that you can purchase for your own home. If you have the chance to use these toilets, you’ll discover that it’s something you wish you had sooner.
Here are some of the best Japanese toilets that provide excellent value for their price:
- The Toto S350E Washlet
- The Toto SW2034-01 Washlet
- Toshiba Warm Water Washing Toilet Seat
- The Toto Neorest
What Is so Special About Japanese Toilets?
Japan hosted the Rugby World Cup in 2019 and is going to host the 2020 Olympics. This led to the Japanese Times speculating the highest number of tourists visiting this Asian country within the past two years, with over 40 million people visiting Japan in 2019 alone.
But did you know that Japan has started a revolution for luxurious toilets that has led to thousands of tourists flocking to Asia, just to try these bathroom facilities out themselves?
There are “standard” toilet features such as a seat warmer (absolutely amazing in winter) and a bidet, with some toilets having features such as a dryer (yes, a butt dryer after using the bidet), self-cleaning functions, and even motion sensor seats that rise when you enter the bathroom.
There are models that are eco-friendly, using only a fraction of the water that standard toilets use.
When Did This Japanese Toilet Revolution Start?
According to TOTO, they’ve been developing more sustainable products in Japan since 1917, to bring a healthier culture and lifestyle to its residents. TOTO has a sustainable development core to its philosophy, which is perhaps why they’re growing in popularity, particularly in the Western world. For this reason, TOTO has become the “go-to” company to search for the best Japanese toilet.
Benefits of Japanese Toilets
There is a range of benefits of Japanese toilets that make going to the bathroom a much more enjoyable experience. So good you won’t want to stop talking about it.
In simple terms, the best Japanese toilets are more:
- Hygienic: The majority of Japanese toilets have self-cleaning functions, to remove pathogens and bacteria from the bowl of the toilet.
- Stylish: These toilets are the sports cars of the bathroom facilities. They can transform how you think about going to the bathroom.
- Luxurious and modern: These toilets scream luxury, as they have endless features to experience. You will not think about a toilet in the same way.
- Sustainable: The best Japanese toilets are more environmentally friendly as they boast that you no longer need to purchase toilet paper. Toilet paper is always the one consistent product on the shopping list, and somehow it always escapes your mind when you’re in Walmart. These toilets will prevent you from having to purchase toilet paper ever again!
- Comfortable: Many of the toilets have a feature where you can adjust your seat to a position that’s best for you. This gives you more choices to make your experience more pleasant, as well as being able to change the settings for different preferences and even different age groups.
Additionally, you’ll become a pioneer of Japanese technology. Owning a Japanese toilet will enable you to become an advocate of high-tech Japanese goods, that will make you the talking point of any dinner party as you’re more technologically advanced.
How to Install a Japanese Toilet Seat
If you ever want to install a Japanese toilet seat on your own, check out this quick and handy guide that shows you every step: Install a Japanese toilet seat
How to Choose the Best Toilet for You?
With all new technology, it can be very difficult to choose the best product for your needs and wants. There is a range of products, which means it can be very difficult to decipher, which is the best Japanese toilet most suited to you.
This guide will cover some of the best Japanese toilets you can get outside of Japan. We’ll go over the best features of each toilet, as well as the pros and cons of each.
1. The Toto S350E Washlet – The Family Friendly Toilet
The Toto S350E Washlet is highly commended for its functionality, yet simple style.
This toilet looks as though it’s from the year 2050, as it has a detachable remote to make it look more stylish, as well as having a sensor so that the toilet seat opens as you approach it. A smart toilet that is truly luxurious.
This toilet also has an “auto-cleaning” function, so that whenever the toilet seat closes, it cleans itself, to prevent the build-up of pathogens and bacteria. Just this function alone makes this toilet worth buying.
Toto is one of the top brands of toilets in Japan.
You can rest assured that the quality and performance of any Toto toilet will be second to none.
This toilet also removes any unwanted surprises in the bathroom from children while having friends over.
- Detachable remote
- Heated seat
- Warm air dryer
- Auto-cleaning function
- Tankless, meaning the toilet will never run out of hot water
- Need to ensure that the remote has charge
- Exclusively designed to work with a TOTO T20 WASHLET+ Ready toilet only for seamless integration
- EWATER+ is a safe and powerful compound, cleaning the wand and bowl after every use
- Tankless, instantaneous water heating means never running out of warm water
- Heated seat and warm air dryer with three settings; Automatic air deodorizer removes odors; wand automatically self cleans after each use
- Includes: WASHLET+ bidet toilet seat, mounting and connection hardware. Purchase separately: TOTO WASHLET+ toilet
2. The Toto SW2034-01 Washlet – Most Economical
The Toto SW2034-01 Washlet is a more affordable alternative to the Toto Neorest, while still having all of the features to make your trip to the bathroom more comfortable.
This washlet is a simpler alternative to the unsustainable option of endless amounts of toilet paper and for a more enjoyable bathroom experience, from the comfort of your own home. This toilet also boasts that it’s so simple to install that you can do it yourself.
Once you have got to grips with the Japanese setting displays, you’re never going to look at bathroom facilities in the same light. The seat can heat up in around 10 seconds to give an experience to the user that they will never forget!
- Heated seat (to your preference)
- Temperature control of the water
- Oscillating spray options
- Controlled by a simple to use remote attached to the washlet
- Not the most attractive design
- Settings are displayed in Japanese
- A REFRESHING CLEAN FOR EVERYONE - Gentle yet powerful water spray provides an effective clean; Adjustable warm water and pressure settings; dual action spray with oscillating option creates a refreshing clean every time
- STEP INTO A LAVISH STANDARD OF LIVING – SoftClose heated bidet seat provides consistent warmth coverage over full seat surface; Air deodorizer neutralizes bathroom odors with powerful air filters; Adjustable warm air dryer provides easy clean up
- CLEAN INNOVATIONS OFFER PEACE OF MIND - PREMIST helps prevent waste from sticking by using the incoming water supply to mist the toilet bowl before each use; Self-cleaning wand automatically cleans inside and outside before and after each use
- EMBRACE YOUR UNIQUENESS - The convenient side panel allows users to control and set personalized water cleansing settings. Provides luxury and cleanliness at your fingertips; 2 user memory settings for quick access. Ambient Temperature-Range-32 ̊F/0 ̊C to 104 ̊F/40 ̊C. Watts-406
- EXPERIENCE EVERYDAY EXCELLENCE – 50 Million WASHLET users agree TOTO electric bidet toilet seats are trusted and dependable with high-quality design for long lasting benefits; Easy, do-it-yourself installation; Top notch customer service support
3. Toshiba Warm Water Washing Toilet Seat – Easiest to Use
Toshiba is a global leading Japanese Technology brand that produces a large number of high-tech household items. Therefore, you know you’re in safe hands when purchasing a Toshiba product. It can be installed in any bathroom around the world (although in some cases, you want to be sure you have the right size connectors and hoses).
This toilet is highly endorsed for its affordability as well as its very high quality. It also boasts that the seat can be heated in a few seconds to make your toilet instantly more luxurious.
This toilet has a dual nozzle function so that you can change the pressure for different washes, depending on personal preference. It has so many different settings you can enjoy a new feature every time you use it!
- Temperature control
- Automatic deodorizer
- Spray pattern control, which is variable to preference
- Heated seat can be activated within six seconds
- Not the most stylish option
- Doesn’t have a dryer after washing function
4. The Toto Neorest – The Most Luxurious
Many people have often referred to the famous Toto Neorest as the master of Japanese technology and engineering. This toilet is so good that people have often compared it to the likes of a Ferrari or Lamborghini.
The manufacturers of this toilet really have thought of everything. It’s truly a one of a kind experience and a toilet that I would make the trip back to Japan, just to use.
It has so many features, but still upholds a sleek and elegant design.
The Toto Neorest really is the creme de la creme of Japanese toilets. Say goodbye to bathroom cleanliness arguments and hello to spending hours enjoying the features of this toilet. Once you’ve experienced this state of the art toilet, you’ll never want to experience another toilet!
- A sensory lid, meaning the toilet is hands-free
- Auto-flush feature
- Instant bowl cleanse for instant sanitation
- Front and rear warm, water washing function, whereby you can choose the temperature and the pressure of the water, for your comfort
- All of these features are controlled by a simple, easy to use remote
- More costly than other models
- Can be noisy
- Double Cyclone Flushing system
- Decorative one-piece with skirted design and high profile tank
- Elongated front bowl with SoftClose seat
- Cyclone siphon jet flushing system, ultra-high efficiency (1.0GPF/3.8LPF and 0.8GPF/3.0LPF)
- Convenient remote control
Overall Best Toilet
It’s 2020, the year of Japanese innovation and the end of unsustainable and relentless global toilet paper use.
Our recommended toilet upgrade is the Toto S350E Washlet due to its affordability, sleek style, and comfort.
You’ll also save money since you’ll probably use less water and toilet paper. It’s self cleaning function is great for saving time and provides you with a more hygienic and pleasant bathroom experience.
This toilet is something you never thought you needed, but once you start using it, you’ll never choose to install a regular toilet ever again.